Manufacturing Week, October 2nd-8th, is designed to showcase Minnesota’s diverse manufacturing and technology industries in order to increase legislative and public awareness of their importance in providing high-wage and high-skilled jobs for our communities.
The manufacturing industry is a dynamic segment of Minnesota’s economy, and an integral part of Minnesota’s economic development strategy.
- Manufacturing has the second largest total payroll among business sectors in Minnesota, providing $20 billion in wages.
- Manufacturing contributed almost $48.2 billion to the Minnesota economy 2015, and is the second-largest industry (16 percent) contributing to our private gross domestic product.
- Manufactured exports brought $18.9 billion into the Minnesota economy in 2015.
- Manufacturing provides over 317,200 highly skilled, high paying jobs, which significantly contribute to Minnesota’s high standard of living and economic vitality.
- The Alexandria area is home to four of the world’s leading manufacturers of automated packaging machines, marking the region as one of the leaders in technology development and innovation for this industry.
- Equipment designed, engineered, and manufactured by Alexandria area companies is utilized by businesses across the United States and around the world.
- Manufacturing is one of the top employing industries in the Alexandria area with 18% of it’s jobs.
On behalf of the Board of Directors and Staff of the Alexandria Area Economic Development Commission, we would like to thank our manufacturing and support industries for their crucial role in the continued success and growth of our communities.